The 2013 edition of the map, A Developing World, was compiled in March 2013, using the most up-to-date information available at the time. But, the world is constantly changing, and new reports come out every few months.
Below you will find a list of the key sources used in creating the map, and links to their websites. You may notice that the statistics vary sometimes from site to site depending on the methodology used or the date the site was last updated.
United Nations Development Programme
The principle source document for this map is United Nations Development Programme’s (UNDP) Human Development Report 2013: The Rise of the South:
Human Progress in a Diverse World, which came out in 2013. (http://hdr.undp.org/en/)
We have used the UNDP’s Human Development Index (HDI) to show which countries have achieved high levels of development and which countries are still working toward improving the lives of their people. The HDI is based on three aspects of human development: longevity (measured by life expectancy at birth), knowledge (measured by a combination of adult literacy and school enrolment), and standard of living (measured by GDP per capita in PPP US$). For additional information, consult the HDI or visit the UNDP website.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, The State of Food Insecurity in the World 2012, http://www.fao.org/publications/sofi/en/
- International Standards Organization, ISO 3166-1 decoding table
http://www.iso.org/iso/home/standards/country_codes/iso-3166-1_decoding_table.htm (cited March 2013) (ISO Country Codes)
- United Nations, The Millennium Development Goals Report 2012, www.un.org/millenniumgoals/pdf/MDG Report 2012.pdf
- United Nations Population Division, World Population Prospects: The 2010 Revision, http://esa.un.org/unpd/wpp/index.htm
- United Nations Population Fund, Trends in maternal mortality: 1990 to 2010, http://www.unfpa.org/public/home/publications/pid/10728
- United Nations Statistics Division, UNSD Statistical Databases,
http://unstats.un.org/unsd/databases.htm (cited March 2013)
- US Central Intelligence Agency, CIA World Fact Book,
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/index.html (cited March 2013) (surface area only)
- WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme for Water Supply and Sanitation, Drinking Water: Equity, safety and sustainability, http://www.unicef.org/media/files/JMP_Report_DrinkingWater_2011.pdf
- WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme for Water Supply and Sanitation, Progress on Sanitation and Drinking-Water 2013 update, http://www.wssinfo.org/fileadmin/user_upload/resources/JMPreport2013.pdf
- United Nations Development Program , UNDP Human Development Report 2013, http://hdr.undp.org/en/ (cited March 2013)